Monday, January 14, 2008

Enter KeLoLo 3

What can be more depressing than losing a bike? What better consolation than to have a replacement?

Enter KeLoLo 3, a new member in my stable. This project was initiated as early as April last year meant for my 8 year old son. Originally intended for a 24" wheel setup. Progress was slow simply because there was no urgency to complete it. Not until KeLoLo 1, my first MTB was stolen...

After the lost of KeLoLo 1, I had to change the direction. Boosted by my wife's hinting of desire to ride, bike setup went back to 26" wheel. Parts were acquired from my stash of old parts. Some are bought mostly from BBS. (Where else?). Some are given out of generosity from fellow MTBers. I wish to thank those who had assisted me in completing the bike. So here it is...KeLoLo 3



Specs and bit of stories behind it

ItemDescription
FrameMerita...yes Merita not Merida. 14 1/2" cheapo alu frame from China, I guess. Original color was silver. I sprayed the front triangle with matte black straight from the can. The KELOLO sticker completed the masquarade. And...voila...a new brand is born.
ForkBallistic 80mm, coil spring, no adjustment for travel, compression or damping. InF - install and forget. Surprisingly plush. But a bit on the heavy side. Handed down from Kelolo 1.
Handlebar Kalloy Avenir alu flat bar. Handed down from Kelolo 1.
Stem Race Face 80mm.
Lever Avid SD7. Handed down from Kelolo 2.
Shifter Shimano Deore 9 sp rapid fire
Head Set Keris King...heh...heh. U knowlah...imitation Chris King. Courtesy of a friend.
BrakesFront - Avid BB7 + 160mm Quad rotor Rear - Avid BB5 + 160mm Quad rotor Handed down from Kelolo 2
WheelsetFront - Alex Rim Ace18 rim + Novatec hub Rear - Alex Rim Ace18 rim + Assess hub Courtesy of HYH. Thanksss...
TyresKenda Bear Trac 2.1 front and rear. I like the whitewall appearance of the tyres. It gives kinda retro look. Courtesy of Sodeq. Thankssss...
Cog Deore 9 sp
Crank + BB Prowheel. Not enough clearance for the FD. Padded the right BB cap with a 2mm spacer I found in my scrounge bag
FDShimano LX
RD Shimano Deore normal rise long cage. From Kelolo 1. Original pulleys busted. Salvaged the pulleys from a second hand Alivio RD I bought from Uncle.
Chain Shimano HG-93. Meant to for Kelolo 1. Did not manage to install before it was stolen. Phew...a blessing in disguise.
Seat post Laid back Race Face Prodigy
Saddle Velo courtesy of Gaplek

Did I miss out anything?

Overall, it's an entry level MTB with a very tight budget. Suffice to make Mrs Kelolo happy...

No comments: